Wednesday 12 July 2017

Long Distance Relationships and Visa’s (New Zealand to UK)

Sooooo, I’m going to tell you all about our experience going from our long distance relationship to my partner moving to the UK, and give you useful tips of what to prepare for if you want to fully commit and make the move to be together.


Now, before I start, I will say that we have been relatively lucky due to Shane’s age (he's 4.5 years younger than me) and the fact that our countries are linked by the common wealth (I'm a Brit, Shane's a Kiwi), which opened up other visa options and privileges at the time (back in 2015).


Long distance relationships are manageable, but can be painful when you want nothing more than to be together. So we decided to do something about it, and I got my research hat on to make a start!


Our Search for Visa’s
I came across a visa called “Youth Mobility Scheme” visa, which is available for people between the ages of 18-30 years, really cheap and allows you to spend two years in the UK to “experience life”, which is PERFECT for those who want to later apply for a FLR (M) visa. Keep in mind that you can only be on this visa once, so make the most of it!


On the YMS visa, you are allowed to:
  • Work
  • Study (but only on short courses, nothing like a degree!)
  • Be self-employed


You can’t:
  • Work as a professional sportsperson (e.g. a coach)
  • Extend your stay
  • Get public funds
  • Bring a family member (they must apply separately)


This visa is only available between certain countries, to see if your country is eligible click [here]. For the YMS visa guidance (which I highly recommend you read!) please click [here] and download the PDF.


Applying for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa - 2015
Now, the YMS visa is pretty simple to apply for in comparison to the FLR (M) visa, I actually think we unnecessarily worried about the YMS application when I look back at it now!


To apply you need to prove the following:
  • You’re between the ages of 18 and 30 years
  • You don’t have children who are dependant on you
  • Show you have a valid passport with enough years (more than 2 years left)
  • If you’re from certain countries, you will need to show you have a sponsor
  • You have £1890* in savings


*I would highly recommend having more money than this saved in your account, job hunting is difficult here in the UK, and unless your partner can support you, you might find yourself struggling. For more about applying for the visa, click [here]. You will need to create an online account at Visa4UK, and during your online application, you will be able to book a date for your biometric appointment too. You will need to download the application form, fill it out and take it to your biometric appointment, along with your proof of payment and all supporting documents.


The biometric appointment is so they can take photos and fingerprints and put you onto the system if you are successful, and make an identification card for you (kinda looks like a driving licence, it’s called a BRP card). When booking the appointment, Shane had to pay the Visa fee of £235 there and then. There is also now a Health Surcharge needing to be paid on top of these fees (Shane didn’t have to pay for it when he applied, but it was introduced for Kiwi’s and Aussies back in early 2016).

Once your appointment is completed they will give you a stamped and approved document for your biometrics, you then post your application off with all your supporting documents, it’s also best to include a self-addressed prepaid envelope otherwise it can take even longer for them to send it back using the cheapest option available!

The appointment itself doesn’t take very long, it’s the wait after for approval which was the real nightmare! We applied in December, which we were concerned about because of all the bank holidays around that time. However, it must have been quiet because we had a response in exactly two weeks!

Our document checklist for this was:
  • Completed and printed application form
  • Completed and printed Appendix 7 form
  • Stamped bank statements (proof of funds)
  • Covering letter from bank all stamped
  • 2X passport sized photos (both signed on the back)
  • 2X passports (old and new one)
  • Stamped and approved biometric exam document


You can’t apply any sooner than 3 months in advance, so keep that in mind if you’re wanting to aim to live somewhere in a certain time. On the application it asks if there’s a date you’d like the visa to start, Shane and I requested the 14th March. I will warn you not to apply for your visa at the very last minute either, just in case you’re refused due to an issue. A lot of people also warn not to book the flight before you find out the results in case you need more time to resolve problems you might encounter. However, Shane and I were a little confident that it would go well, and booked the flight anyway before prices shot up!


A couple of reasons why you might be rejected, from what I’ve seen:
  • You’ve been refused entry before
  • Your Passport does not have enough years left before expiration
  • You’ve committed a criminal offence (I read someone was rejected for being charged of drink-driving within a certain period of the application)
  • Provided incorrect documents


When March eventually decided to show up, I flew out to NZ for a week to help Shane pack and be an emotional support as he said good bye to friends and family. We left on the 13th March (New Zealand time) to arrive exactly on the 14th March in the UK, the day Shane’s visa started.


When you arrive in the UK, get your BRP card from the post office as soon as you can, it’s illegal not to have it. Another thing I will point out, if you’re asked to register with the police because of your country of origin, do it. I’ve heard of people who don’t and this is a criminal offence, you don’t want this to be a reason as to why you can’t stay with a loved one.

Other useful blogs:



Tips and Tricks (for people in relationships)
Before applying for the YMS visa, I decided to look at what options were available to us AFTER the 2 years were completed (something I recommend EVERYONE doing). The reason for this? You don’t want to be one of those couples who miss out being with each other because you didn’t think ahead… There are plenty of stories of couples not reading guidelines properly, applying and then one of them being deported because they didn’t meet the requirements.


Think ahead. Prepare.


The FLR (M) visa means that Shane could stay in the UK as either a married OR unmarried partner (both options require different specifications to be met). When applying for the YMS visa back in January 2016, we kept that in mind. At the time we still wanted to make sure this was definitely what we wanted (in regards our relationship) and so kept our options open (not very romantic, but practical!). When applying for the FLR (M) visa under the unmarried partner route, one of the main thing that differs from being married, is that you need to to prove you've lived together in a relationship ‘akin’ to marriage for a minimum of 2 years. Where as, if you marry, you don't need to prove the two year cohabitation, but you do still need to prove you've lived together. If you haven't lived together, you need to explain why.


As proof of cohabitation, you will need 6 correspondence from 3 different sources in both your names showing you live at the same address, OR 12 correspondence in one of your names (6 in the applicants and 6 in the sponsors) OR mix and match, for example 4 in both your names, 2 in the applicants and 2 in the sponsors.


A correspondence will be things like utility bills, joint membership letters (for us we have National Trust membership) or documents from the government run places (H&M revenue etc).


So before Shane moved over I wrote to all the utility companies and requested for Shane to be added onto the bills so we had both our names on them, then when he was over we got him a bank account and applied for a joint savings (which is also good to show shared financial responsibilities).


Lastly….ALWAYS keep an eye on visa changes, while Shane was over, New Zealander’s were no longer exempt from the Health Surcharge and the fees for the FLR (M) went up by 25%! Back in 2013 the financial requirement rose to £18,600, and in early 2017 there was talk of it rising AGAIN.

I hope this information helps others in our situation! For those of you who want to know more about the FLR (M) Visa and our experience, please click [here] for my followup blog!

7 comments:


  1. Hey guys, How to get your ex lover back fast.
    I'm so excited of getting my husband back after he left me and our 3 kids for another woman. After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr joy can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr joy he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr joy real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: joylovespell@gmail.com , you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2347088404185.
    , his website:http://joylovespell@gmail.com , Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA .

    ReplyDelete

  2. Hey guys, How to get your ex lover back fast.
    I'm so excited of getting my husband back after he left me and our 3 kids for another woman. After 2 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. i felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr joy can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before,All thanks to Dr joy he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr joy real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: joylovespell@gmail.com , you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2347088404185.
    , his website:http://joylovespell@gmail.com , Jessica, 26 years, Texas, USA .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you desperately wondering, "How to get my husband back?" after much time has passed without your husband coming back to you? Right now you are stuck in a very desperate situation, as your mind feels exhausted, while your body is willing to go to any extent to get your husband back why not contact Dr.yakaya spell whose email is: yakayatemple@gmail.com or add him on WhatsApp +2347050270227 and get your husband back within 24hours.

    ReplyDelete


  4. Henderson Elizabeth
    Dr joy is a trust worthy spell caster and he will be of great help to you. I never believed in spell casting but After 4 years of marriage my husband left me because I lost my womb, and i was unable to give birth to children. I felt like my life has come to an end, and i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time, but thanks to this spell caster called Dr joy whom i met online after my friend Becky Ross told me how he also helped her to bring back her husband in less than 2 days. I believed her and decided to give Dr joy a try and i contacted him on his email joylovespell@gmail.com. and explained my problems to him. He laughed and told me that In less than 2 days, my Husband will come back to me again, and that he will restore my womb and i will give birth to children. At first i thought it was a joke but i took courage and believed as Dr joy has said and it did happen just as this Great spell caster said, My husband called me and was crying, begging for forgiveness. I forgive him and today i am so glad that all worries and problems has gone away, and we are even happier than before, another good news is that i am pregnant now, and very soon we will have our baby. Dr joy is really a gifted and a powerful spiritual man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. I advice you all If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems just Contact Dr joy on his email on joylovespell@gmail.com. because he will always help you to solve all problems. Once again thank you Dr joy. Thank you, thank you.
    you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2347088404185.

    ReplyDelete

  5. THE TRUE SOLUTION TO MARRIAGE , CHEATING , DIVORCE , AND RELATIONSHIP ISSUES I’m so excited! Thanks to Dr.lucky for bringing back my Ex-husband and brought great joy to me today! luckysolutiontempl@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online,if you need your Ex lover back fast!and his result is 100% guarantee.. After 12 years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr lucky can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.lucky real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: luckysolutiontemple@gmail.com, you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348070980389

    ReplyDelete
  6. How To Get Your Girlfriend Back After Cheating On You With Another Guy Urgent Genuine Love spell With 100% Gauarantee On Happylovespell2@gmail.com.. Me and my girlfriend have been getting into little arguments which then later escalate. a lot of which are my fault but i never thought i would lose her because we are in love. she told me yesterday that she loves me but she is done. that the fights keep hurting her too much. i can’t believe i hurt her like that and would love nothing more than another chance to prove to her and myself that i will cut out my insecurities that I’ve brought into this relationship. It wasn’t until i lost her that my eyes really opened in what i was doing. i asked for another chance and she said she cannot do that right now. i asked if she is done with my forever and she said she doesn’t know what will happen down the road but right now she needs space. I’m lost, confused, heart broken. i feel like it’s all my fault and i don’t want to lose her, all she told me was that the relationship is over, she blocked me on whatsapp. i went no contact. she unblock me. i still maintain no contact she blocked me again. 1 week of no contact. will she come back? we were very close. she may not be the best looking girl. but i love her. now i begged her to consider me but she’s did listen, she left and i was frustrated, i began searching for help and answers, then i heard about a man that can cast a spell to remind her of all the things we have been through together, at first I was scared then i decided to give it a try, and like magic my girlfriend came back, apology and begging for forgiveness, thanks to this man, I’m posting this to help people with similar issues, do not hesitate to email him.......
    Email him @.... happylovespell2@gmail.com
    Whatsapp him or better still call...+2348133873774
    You can also view on his Blogs site... https://happylovespell2.blogspot.com.ng/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey everyone!
    I'm so excited. My ex-boyfriend is back after few months of breakup, I’m extremely happy that will are living together again. My boyfriend of 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant. I have cried myself to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again. Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes, my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy, he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along. He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change. I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with. I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe. He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy, he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.
    I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ahmed can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a spell for me. 17 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again...
    All thanks to Dr Ahmed if you have any marital, relationship or divorces problem contact Dr Ahmed now and I guarantee you that he will help you. Here’s his contact.
    Call/what’s-app: +2348160153829
    Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete